Frequently Asked Questions

Can I pay with a credit card?

We cannot accept credit card payments for a real estate transaction. We must have “collected” funds in order to disburse on real estate transactions. However, we will accept credit card payments on other matters. If you have a question about whether or not we will take your card, please ask us and we will be happy to let you know. We currently accept credit cards through Square, which will process payments on Visa, Mastercard, Discover and American Express.

Can I pay with a personal check?

Our ability to accept a personal or business check depends on the circumstances. Generally, a personal check is acceptable for matters other than real estate. We are required to have “collected” funds to disburse on real estate transactions. Personal checks may involve a hold of several days after we deposit them. If we do not have the funds in our account, we cannot disburse funds. For real estate transactions, we require either a wire or a cashier’s check. Please make any checks payable to Haines Law Firm.

Can I pay for my real estate closing with a cashier’s check?

While cashier’s checks are “collected” funds, they are not available in our account until the day following deposit. If we must disburse funds the same day, we generally require a wire. If wiring funds is a problem, please let us know in advance so that we can discuss alternatives.

How much do you charge for wills, trusts, incorporations, etc?

Our prices are not generally one size fits all and will be geared specifically to the work to be done for your file. For example, we may be able to do a codicil to your existing will rather than a whole new set of documents. Many of our clients have expressed dismay over billing experiences with other professionals. Our initial consultations regarding estate planning, probate, and business formation are free and we will be happy to give you a quote before you incur any fees.

Real estate closings generally involve a number of fees such as title insurance premiums, attorney fees, title searches and courier fees. We will be more than happy to email a fee sheet upon request that will give an estimate of what the fees will be.

Will you notarize something for me?

Yes. We will be happy to notarize documents for you if we are able to do so. Generally we do not charge for this service. You will need to bring a valid government photo id such as a passport or driver’s license. Please note that witness only closings are not legal in South Carolina. A South Carolina licensed attorney must supervise all aspects of a closing. We cannot assist in the unauthorized practice of law by serving as a notary if your lender is violating the law.

Have a question not answered here? Please email or call us.